• The Status of Women Review Committee at BU will mark the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women on Tuesday with a pair of screenings of the film “Polytechnique” at the Evans Theatre. The film, which recounts the killing of 14 innocent women at École Polytechnique in Montreal in 1989, will be shown at noon and 5 p.m. Admission is free, and donations will be accepted for the Women’s Resource Centre.
• The final Science Seminar Series event of the fall term will feature talks by first-year master of science (Environmental and Life Sciences) students on Tuesday. The students will present brief talks on their research, from 1 to 3 p.m., in Room 4-47 of the Brodie Science Centre. The talks will also be available online. For more information, email TeepleH@BrandonU.ca.
• The Lorne Watson Recital Hall in the Queen Elizabeth II Music Building at BU will be the site of a Clear Lake Chamber Music Festival December concert on Tuesday beginning at 7:30 p.m. Oleg Pokhanovski, on violin, and Alexander Tselyakov, on piano, will present masterpieces of Brahms and Franck. Ticket information is available by calling 204-727-9631, or by emailing Burba@BrandonU.ca.
• Candy Jones of the Faculty of Education, Michelle Lam of BU CARES, Jan Marie Graham of the Faculty of Heath Studies and research assistant Grace Jones will deliver the presentation “Roots and Routes of Rural Homelessness in Manitoba” on Thursday, from noon to 1 p.m. The virtual presentation is part of the Faculty of Health Studies and Centre for Critical Studies of Rural Mental Health Seminar Series. To participate, email YoungT@BrandonU.ca.
• Our world is divided. Can we talk about it? That’s the goal of a virtual town hall, taking place on Thursday, from 5 to 7 p.m., on ZOOM. The session, hosted by BU researchers and community stakeholders, will explore conversations related to the polarization of believes, the role of social media and brainstorming ways to restore and heal relationships. More information and registration are available at BUCARES.ca.
• Fall term final exams begin on Friday. Exams will continue until Dec. 20. The university will close for its winter break from Dec. 23 through Jan. 2.
• The Evans Theatre is showing “Whispers in the Wheat” on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings at 7:30 p.m. This crime thriller, produced in rural Manitoba by local talent, follows a young man’s journey to finish the heist his father died trying to complete.
» Rob Henderson
ASSINIBOINE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
• Join us for one of our free online information sessions designed to give you the inside scoop on our college, our programs and life at Assiniboine. Register in advance and log in from the comfort of your own home to learn what Assiniboine has to offer. Visit assiniboine.net/infosession to register.
• Are you an Assiniboine alumnus or alumna and interested in volunteer opportunities with the alumni association? The alumni relations office and the association’s board of directors work toward co-ordinating initiatives and activities that focus on increasing meaningful alumni engagement with the college. For more information, contact Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Assiniboine is conducting its first-ever alumni survey this fall. If you’re an alumnus or alumna of the college, be sure to submit your up-to-date contact information in order to participate and be entered into a draw for a grand prize. Contact email@example.com for more information or visit assiniboine.net/alumnisurvey
• Our alumni association is hosting a retirees coffee party on Dec. 14. To find out more about this event, email Lisa at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 204-725-8700.
• The Indigenous Affairs team at Assiniboine invites you to join them for Storyteller Week. This week is an opportunity to learn from elders in the region and spend time with students and staff in person and virtually. To find out more about Storyteller Week, visit assiniboine.net/events
• Our Cougar volleyball and hockey teams are in action this weekend. For a full rundown of the schedule, visit assiniboine.net/athletics
» Shaun Cameron